Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Optional Memorial: St. Apollinaris, bishop and martyr - Soul of Christ prayer

According to tradition, St. Peter sent Apollinaris to Ravenna, Italy, as its first bishop.

His preaching of the Good News was so successful that the pagans there beat him and drove him from the city. He returned, however, and was exiled a second time.

After preaching in the area surrounding Ravenna, he entered the city again. After being cruelly tortured, he was put on a ship heading to Greece. Pagans there caused him to be expelled to Italy, where he went to Ravenna for a fourth time.

He died from wounds received during a savage beating at Classis, a suburb of Ravenna. A beautiful basilica honoring him was built there in the sixth century.

Direct your faithful, Lord, in the way of eternal salvation which the Bishop Saint Apollinaris showed by his teaching and martyrdom, and grant, through his intercession, that we may so persevere in keeping your commandments as to merit being crowned with him. Through our Lord.

* * * * * *

Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, make me holy.

Body of Christ, save me.

Blood of Christ, inebriate me.

Water from the side of Christ, wash me clean.

Passion of Christ, strengthen me.

Kind Jesus, hear me.

Hide me within your wounds.

Let me never be separated from you.

Defend me from evil.

In the hour of my death call me to yourself,

that with your saints I may praise you

in everlasting life.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment