Tuesday, April 28, 2009

April 28--St. Louis Grignon de Montfort; Centre 101 Parent; Brother Art White, SJ

A good number of the Francophone Priests of Ontario are meeting this week in North Bay, ON with Mgr Eugene Tremblay, Bishop of Amos, Quebec and a trained psychologist. Among our priests attending is one of my episcopal vicars, Abbe Daniel Berniquez, who generally celebrates Mass on Tuesday mornings for the residents and Sisters of Saint-Marie de Namur, who direct the youth-oriented "Centre 101" (named for its location on Parent Avenue, across the street from my residence).

So, Soeur Ferdinande invited me via an email late last evening on the last-minute chance that I would be able come for Mass today at 8am. I was delighed to do so and we chose to celebrate the Mass of the optional memorial in honour of the great religious founder St. Louis Grignon de Montfort not only because we have Montfort Fathers and Daughters of Wisdom serving in the Archdiocese, but also in recognition of his great impact on the renewal of Marian devotion in the Church through the impact of his writings on Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI.

Today is also the anniversary of my mother's death (Marion Bridget Skerry, May 18, 1911-April 28, 1988). In the memorial of the deceased I remembered her and my dad (John Vincent Prendergast, January 22, 1906-November 15, 1970) and prayed as well for our family that we might know the peace and joy they manifested to my sister and three brothers witnessed in their more than 32 years of marriage.

Deacon Jonathan Blake accompanied me for the occasion as he has had a long association with the staff and youth who frequent the Centre dating from the time of his internship at Paroisse St. Joseph. The sisters and residents tried to tease out of me where he would be posted after ordination, but to no avail as these matters are still under wraps for a couple of more weeks.

At supper time, Jesuit Brother Arthur P. White dropped by. We had a drink and got caught up on news about our Province (Jesuits in English-speaking Canada). On Thursday, I will reciprocate the visit, dropping by St. John Ogilvie Residence on Sunnyside Street. "Quam bonum et iucundum fratres habitare in unum!" (Psalm 133:1) [="How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!"]

No comments:

Post a Comment